LOCTITE 221 is a low strength, low viscosity threadlocking adhesive. The product is dimethacrylate-based and purple in colour. LOCTITE 221 is designed for the locking and sealing of fasteners which require easy disassembly with standard hand tools. Suitable for small threads, up to a size of M12.
LOCTITE 221 cures in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces. It prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. Typical applications include adjustment of set screws and small diameter or long engagement length fasteners.
- Low strength
- Low viscosity
- Suitable for small threads, maximum size M12
- Fixture time is 25 min on steel, 20 min on brass, 210 min on stainless steel
- Working temperature ranges from -55°C to 150°C
- Breakaway torque of 8.5 Nm
How to use Loctite 221:
- For best results, clean all surfaces with a solvent. Allow it to dry.
- If using on inactive metal or curing speed is too slow, use an activator spray such as LOCTITE SF 7471 or SF 7649. Allow it to dry.
- Shake before use. Do not allow the tip to touch the surfaces during application. This will prevent the liquid from clogging in the nozzle.
- For thru holes. Apply several drops of the product onto the bolt at the nut engagement area.
- For blind holes. Apply several drops of the product down the internal threads to the bottom of the hole.
- For sealing applications. Apply a 360° bead of product to the leading threads of the male fitting. Leave the first thread free. For bigger threads: adjust product amount accordingly. Apply product on the female threads also.
- Assemble and tighten as required.
Store LOCTITE 221 in the unopened container in a dry location. Optimal Storage: 8° C to 21° C. Storage below 8° C or greater than 28° C can adversely affect product properties.