Loctite 496 is a low viscosity methyl cyanoacrylate adhesive. It is formulated primarily for bonding metals. Loctite 496 is also effective on plastics and rubber. It can also bond polyolefins, when used in combination with Loctite SF 770 or Loctite SF 7239 Primer.
Loctite 496 develops full strength in a short time (10-30 seconds). However, curing continues for at least 24 hours, before full chemical resistance is developed. Atmospheric moisture initiates the curing process. Width of the bondline gap and ambient humidity both affect curing speed.
- General purpose
- Suitable for metal, plastics and rubber
- Low viscosity
- Recommended for thin bond gaps (0.05 mm)
- Qualified to Commercial Item Description A-A-3097 (This is a regional approval)
How to use Loctite 496:
- Bond areas should be free from contaminants. Clean surfaces before applying the product.
- To improve bonding on low energy surfaces, Loctite 770 primer may be applied. Allow it to dry.
- Loctite activator may be used if necessary. Apply it to one bond surface. Do not apply activator to a primed surface. Allow it to dry.
- Apply Loctite 496 to one of the bond surfaces. Do not apply on the activated surface. Do not spread the adhesive with a tissue or brush.
- Assemble components within a few seconds. Assemble carefully: the short fixture time leaves little opportunity for adjustment.
- Hold together or clamp bonds until the adhesive has fixtured.
- Allow product to develop full strength before subjecting to any service loads. This will usually take between 24 and 72 hours.
Store Loctite 496 in the unopened container in a dry location. Optimal Storage: 2° C to 8° C. Storage below 2° C or greater than 8° C can adversely affect product properties.