LOCTITE 518 is a single component, medium strength, anaerobic sealant. It is designed for use on casted iron, aluminum, and steel flanged mating surfaces. LOCTITE 518 creates a flexible, chemical-resistant seal. It will not pull apart or decay over time. This product is typically used to seal joints between rigid metal faces and flanges. It is also effective as a formed-in-place gasket on rigid flanged connections, such as transmissions and engine casings.
LOCTITE 518 cures in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces. It performs best on gaps up to 0.25 mm. Viscosity of the product decreases under stress. This property reduces the migration of liquid product after application.
- Medium strength
- Suitable for active and passive substrates
- Tolerates minor surface contamination from oils
- Thixotropic to reduce adhesive migration
- Instant low pressure resistance
- High pressure resistance when fully cured
- NSF P1 Reg. No. 123758
How to use Loctite 518:
- For best results, clean all surfaces with a LOCTITE solvent. Allow it to dry.
- Apply LOCTITE 518 manually as a continuous bead, a rolled film or by screen printing to one surface of the flanges. For gaps greater than 0.125mm, a rolled film should be applied to both surfaces.
- Low pressures may be used when testing to confirm a complete seal. Perform test immediately after assembly and before curing.
- Flanges should be tightened as soon as possible after assembly to avoid shimming.
- For maximum strength, allow the product to cure for 24 hours, minimum.
Store LOCTITE 518 in the unopened container in a dry location. Optimal Storage: 8° C to 21° C. Storage below 8° C or greater than 28° C can adversely affect product properties.