When it comes to withstanding high temperatures, not all glues are created equal. General purpose adhesives are not designed to resist temperatures past 70°C. If you need a bond that can withstand high heat, you’ll need a heat resistant glue.
Whether you’re looking for an adhesive to use in high temperature applications or for a glue that can stand up to repeated exposure to heat, there’s a heat resistant glue out there that will suit your needs. We’ve compiled a list of the best heat resistant glues available, so you can find the perfect one for your project.
What is heat resistant glue?
A heat resistant glue is a type of adhesive that can withstand high temperatures. The strongest heat resistant adhesives can resist temperatures of over 300°C. Heat resistant glue should be able to bond a range of different materials. These usually include metal, ceramic, rubber and glass. Certain types of adhesive are also effective on plastic materials.
Heat resistant adhesives include cyanoacrylates, epoxies, acrylics, silicone and urethane. Each type has its own unique set of properties that make it more useful for certain tasks. Heat resistant glue is often used in the following applications:
- Ovens, stoves and fireplaces
- Car interiors
- Industrial applications
- Joints in exhaust and heating systems
What to consider when buying heat resistant glue?
Besides resistance to high temperatures, there are a few other factors you should consider when buying heat resistant glue. Make sure to take into account:
- Resistance to temperature swings. Only some heat resistant glues can withstand continuous exposure to high temperatures and fluctuations in temperature.
- Setting and curing time. These can vary a lot from one glue to another.
- Viscosity. High viscosity adhesives are thicker. This makes them better suited for vertical applications, avoiding dripping.
- Compatibility. The glue must be suitable for the materials to be bonded.
- Resistance to shock and vibration. Indispensable when bonding parts that are subject to movement.
The 5 best heat resistant glues
Check out our recommendations for the best heat resistant glues.
- J-B Weld ExtremeHeat Paste. Metallic compound. Formulated to repair iron, steel and other metals. Provides an extremely strong bond and heat resistance of 538°C.
- Rutland High Heat Silicone. Silicone adhesive. It will form a tough, flexible seal in addition to strong adherence. It will even seal out gas and smoke. Adheres to most surfaces and provides heat resistance up to 260°C.
- Loctite Stik ‘n Seal Extreme Conditions. Silane-modified polymer adhesive. Effective on a wide range of materials, including many hard-to-bond plastics. Resists weather, vibrations, moisture, UV and temperature swings. Operating temperature ranges between -40°C and 120°C.
- Permatex High Heat Epoxy. Two-part epoxy. A strong adhesive that seals against liquid, gas and motor oil. Ideal for automotive applications. Provides heat resistance up to 260°C.
- DAP High Heat Mortar Fire Stop Caulk. Silicate cement. The best product for fireplaces and stoves. Extremely tough. It blocks smoke and fire and resists temperatures up to 1090°C.
Conro Electronics is a leading supplier of materials and tools in the electronic manufacturing industry.
We’ll show you how to improve product reliability while increasing performance and lowering costs. Our team of technical support specialists will provide your company with dependable global supply, unrivalled efficiency, and superior technical support.
Feel free to contact us on 0208 953 1211 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org